Sunday, June 17, 2012

An apothecary's garden

A shady bunch
I recently was introduced to Twitter and have discovered a whole new world!  One of the people I 'follow' is Lucy Jones  (@myrobalanclinic), a medical herbalist.  She writes a wonderful blog on herbs and their uses and recently shared the benefits of Nettles.
Looking full of vigour
 I was so inspired by her blog I went out and found a wonderful supply of nettles in the garden (which probably tells you how neglected its been) and followed her recipe for Winter Nettle tonic.  The ingredients are dried nettles, organic oranges and dried apricots soaked in organic red wine for three weeks.  This is then strained and bottled and kept for winter when the recommended daily dose is a desertspoon 2x day.
Soaking

I am sure the healthy ingredients in the fruit and the nettles will help - but 2 desertspoons of red wine every day will certainly make those dark winter days a little more bearable!


No comments: